Monday, March 21, 2011

Reasons for Names

As a random aside, just some insight as to why certain names were used for characters.....and yes I'm not original for most of them.

  • First off, I usually do either two things with names: one is that I'll put some syllables together and see how this sounds.  Amazingly this is where many names comes from: Savaya, Solona, Akaan, Quinas, Visarias, Neeta, Rei Silvia,  etc.  There really is no story for the most part with these names.....but if you see them in future games (and I love reusing names) don't be surprised if they have similar roles....or the opposite.
  • Argas Vicious....in the first outline, he was set to kill So Hai.  He's supposed to be his name.  It's sort of a common theme for Imperial Forces and what not it seems.  
  • Victor Farsius?  Apperently just to piss people off.
  • Slados is a derivative of Slade, a name I used a lot to mean the sneaky character.  Slade is originally  thief and a rat from Shining Force 2, who sorts of nearly ends the entire universe.  Whoops.
  • Some characters, like Jastus Farr, Koffi Arana, Fy-Tor Ana, Darth Revan are canon characters.  I just used thier images and (sometimes) basic personalities for my purposes.
  • Darth Lord Jacques...Jacques is another often employed name.  Originally from Suikoden again, I'll use the name to indicate either a gray moral guy or a sharpshooter.
  • Petro came from the Petro of Marvel Comics the Flash fo that world, though obviously they are quite different.
  • So Hai?  It's Korean supposedly for Fear.  Ha!
  • Lyon, the female Trandoshan assassin: Name is based on the female bodyguard Lyon from Suikoden, a rather good hearted character but who was trained well as, well, an assassin.  Not much else of a connection really.
 I could go on, but if there's any character you're interested in, post in the comments and I'll reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment